Saturday, October 11, 2008

October 11, 2007

Thursday October 11, 2007

This morning I woke up feeling nauseous. I guess it is better than having contractions and being in labor, but I thought that the nausea was supposed to leave with the first trimester. No such luck for me but you take what you get. They discharged me around 9 a.m. Skeet had been in earlier but had to run to his office. I had driven myself to the hospital yesterday so he didn't need to be there to drive me home. I stopped at the pharmacy to pick up a prescription for the nausea and the pills that would keep me from going back into labor, and I headed home. I was told to take the pills every few hours so I planned on staying home from work all day today too. This, I was not to upset about, mainly because I still felt very sick to my stomach.

I laid on the couch all day, doing nothing but watching TV and sleeping. I couldn't really eat or drink anything because of the nausea and the heartburn. Skeet had taken the rest of the day off to spend with me, it was nice to not be alone. Around 5:00 p.m. I felt a headache coming on. I know I am not allowed to take anything but Tylenol and I wanted to avoid even taking that but eventually I had to. The pain was becoming unbearable. I put an ice pack on my head and tried to drink some water. The pain kept getting worse and I didn't know what to do. I felt as though I might die if it kept progressing. Finally I put a call in to Labor and Delivery to see if they had any suggestions. They said they would page Dr. Sanders and have him call me.

While I was waiting for Dr. Sanders to call the very little that I had drank and eaten all day decided to grace me again with it's presence. Something was very wrong and I was very scared. When Dr. Sanders finally called me back I explained what was going on and he suggested we go come back to the hospital.

Neither Skeet and I were very happy about returning to the hospital after having left only that morning but I was sure I would die if we didn't. I probably wouldn't have but it would have been a miserable night. So back we went and they hooked me up to an IV. I had no signs of labor but they told me I was most likely dehydrated. They began to pump fluids into my body and gave me an ice pack for my head. Poor Skeet is exhausted and it looks like we are going to be here for a while.

At around 10:30 p.m. Dr. Sanders brought the nurses, and Skeet and I, a yummy chocolate shake that unfortunately I couldn't really enjoy, but Skeet loved his. I took a couple of bites but the heartburn was back in full force and my head was still throbbing. My nurse, Teri, decided to give me something to calm my stomach. I think it was a trick because the minute I swallowed that nasty stuff, I immediately threw up. But, it did make me feel better. They decided to give me another Ambien and Skeet is all set on the pull out bed, it looks like we may be here for the night.

1 comment:

Amy Jo said...

Although I know the sad outcome of your story, thank you for sharing your experiences in the days leading to Avery's birth. You are helping others by sharing this.