Thursday, August 18, 2011

Teething


I really can't believe it.  My almost 4 month old is teething!  I never paid attention to when babies teethed but I didn't ever think it was this early.  I know that his teeth might not come through for a while yet but the poor baby has been pretty uncomfortable and it took me a week to figure out why!  It started last week when he stopped taking bottles at feeding time.  He just acted like he wasn't hungry and didn't want anything to do with the bottles.  Then he stopped sleeping well.  He wasn't really sleeping great in the first place, but he'd only wake up once, maybe twice a night to eat and go right back to sleep.  Out of nowhere though, he started waking up every 30 to 45 minutes crying.  He never used to cry either.. just fuss enough that I knew he was hungry.  He stopped self soothing and was just crying all the time.  We thought at first he was dealing with ear issues but after a trip to the doctor we found that his ears look perfect.  It wasn't until the end of the appt with the doctor and no real answers that Dr. N saw Sawyer chewing on his hands and my shoulder.  He asked if he did that a lot lately and I said yep.  He then suggested it may be that Sawyer is teething.  We started him on Tylenol and Baby Orajel (which we only used twice and then switched to teething tablets) and he acted so much better!  He still gets whiney and wants his mommy when he starts to hurt again but he will eat now and sleeps much better.  I feel so bad for the little guy and am almost hoping the teeth cut through soon so that he can feel a little bit better until the next tooth decides to make him cranky.  I am loving all the extra cuddles and that he loves me so much right now but I want the poor boy to feel better and get back to his usual smiley and laughing self! 

No comments: