Wednesday, August 1, 2007

How it all began

After being married for a little over a year we decided it was time to start trying for a family. I had had so many problems in the last few years with endometriosis and irregular cycles that I knew it wasn't going to be easy and saw a doctor right away for infertility. Dr. Sanders was great, he agreed that it probably wouldn't be easy and scheduled me for a series of tests and surgery to help with the endometriosis. After 2 years of chlomid and ovulation tests we were told that our next option would be to see a specialist in Las Vegas. We met with Dr. D not too long after that and got the ball rolling for In Vitro Fertilization. On March 17, 2007 we went in for the egg retrieval. 46 eggs were taken from my ovaries and 40 of them survived fertilization. After a week of incubating we still had 7 strong eggs and our transfer was scheduled for March 22nd. We watched as Dr. D inserted 2 blastocysts into my uterus on the ultrasound screen and silently I prayed that they would grab on and hold tight. The 5 remaining were frozen for future attempts. On April 2nd Dr. Sanders called me to tell me that my blood test had come back with a positive. After 2 1/2 years we were finally pregnant! I could hardly believe it! A few days later I had to pee on a stick just to see for myself!

I experienced all the blessings of the first trimester, the nausea, the heartburn, the sore chest, and boy was I tired! But I loved every minute of it. One Saturday in May my sister rushed me to the hospital, I was 11 weeks and was having extreme pain in my lower stomach. I was so scared but was told that if there was no blood I shouldn't worry. After some morophine and alot of water they did a transabdominal ultra sound and said the baby is fine. They gave me some antibiotics for a UTI then they were going to send me home. Luckily my OB sensed something else was wrong and ordered me to be monitored over night and a transvaginal ultrasound to be done later that evening. After taking one look at my 2nd ultrasound he started making arrangments for emergency surgery. I had what they call a heterotopic pregnancy which is where two embryos implant, one in the uterus and one elsewhere. In my case it was my left tube. (The chances of this happening are about 1% in IVF cases.) My tube had ruptured and I was bleeding internally. I was so scared for my baby but my OB assured me everything would be fine. I remember waking up from the surgery and the first thing out of my mouth was "is my baby okay?" and it was! He showed me the next morning on an ultrasound that the baby was fine... a little bean bouncing all over the place! After that I thought the worst had to be over and if we could survive that we could survive anything!

Jumping forward 8 weeks to our level II ultrasound, July 17, 2007 I am 19 weeks 3 days, we show up to our appointment VHS in hand. I have a feeling deep down that we are having a little boy but can't wait to see for sure. Unfortunately the bad news comes before we can even find out. Within minutes of starting the ultrasound the tech tells me there is something very wrong with the baby and proceeds to point out an extremely short femur bone and what looks like alot of fluid around the baby's brain. After that I was crying so hard I didn't see the rest of the ultrasound. She finished up her measurements and we talked to our OB who said that best case is the baby will be a dwarf, but he is going to look over the ultrasound and call us later that evening. After a long day of everyone crying and praying Dr. Sanders finally calls and says it looks worse than he thought and that the baby most likely has a lethal form of skeletal dysplasia that will not allow the baby to breath on its own after birth. We were crushed. Our little miracle, the baby we have waited so long for, may not live. He recommended that we see a Perintologist and would call us the next day with an appointment.

The next day we drove the 40 minutes to the Peri's office dreading what we would hear but hoping for good news. He confirmed right away that it is for sure skeletal dysplasia, the limbs were about 6 weeks behind the rest of the body. They measured every part of my baby and I couldn't watch. It was too hard to see those images, to become even more attached to this little being when I didn't know if I was ever going to be able to see it alive, or hold it in my arms. They did an amnio and mentioned something about a heart defect and the appointment was over. I was told to come back in 3 weeks to go over the results. We were also scheduled for a fetal echocardiogram in 4 weeks.

Which brings us to today. I am 21 weeks 4 days pregnant and dreading next Wednesday when we will find out the test results. I have been praying for my baby every day, as have my family and friends. The one thing that brings me peace is knowing that no matter what happens this will always be our baby, our first, our little miracle. We have decided that no matter what the test results show we are carrying this baby to term if possible. We want to give it any chance for life we can, even if it is only a few moments. Next week we will find out the gender of the baby and will give it a name. I am asking anyone who reads this to please remember our little one in your prayers. I will be back next week to post the results.


Anonymous said...

Oh Candi.. We all love you so much and you know how much my heart hurts for you right now. Im definitly praying for this little one to enter into this life as a healthy baby that just needs some special love....
Love you Charise

Anonymous said...

More than you know we are all praying for you and yours. We all love you so much and we know how bad you want the child, just know people grieve with you too. Please keep us informed as you can. love ya, KMB

Anonymous said...


Anonymous said...

Don't give up hope. Skeletal dysplasia can look very different in the womb than it actually is. In our case, I sometimes think we actually had to go through so much to understand how very special God made Bryan for us. You are in my prayers every day. Please let us know as soon as you hear some news.

Candi in Houston
YaYa to Bryan

tonya said...


Thank you for sharing your story with us!! The road ahead will be long, but even more rewarding!
Blessings to your family!

How Life is Measured said...

I know what you are going through having been through this. I have kept you in my prayers every single night. I will be here for you whatever the results maybe. Keep your hopes up. The power of prayer is an amazing thing.
Love, \

Anonymous said...

Candi and Hubby and Family, We continue to pray for you and hope you have a miracle like we did with Owen. My heart is breaking for you. I remember the despair we felt when Owen's diagnosis was given. Knowing that others cared and prayed helped us through that terrible time. I will keep praying for you and your precious baby.

Owen's Grandma, Cat's Mom

Anonymous said...

Candi, I am so sorry to hear about all of this. Charise sent me an email to read your blog. We will keep you and your family in our prayers. Jenny (Charise's friend in Dallas)

Anonymous said...

Candi - Just wanted you to know that my family and I are continuing to pray for you, your husband and your baby.


Candi in Houston
Yaya to Bryan

Anonymous said...

Just want you to know that you are still in my thoughts and prayers. I will especially be thinking of you tomorrow and hoping for a positive outcome.

Jennifer/ Owen's Grandma/Cat's Mom